When adapting your car from a 4L60e to 4L80e, there are really two parts to the process. Getting the wiring right is the first part, and the second is making the 4L80E fit in the vehicle. If you are swapping a 4L80E into a vehicle that has never had one before, we strongly recommend searching around the internet for a forum or video of someone who has done this for your make and model vehicle. For more info on swapping in a 4L80E, see the LS swap guide.
As long as you know the 4L80e is going to fit into your vehicle a 4L60e to 4L80e adapter will make the job a heck of a lot easier.
4L60e to 4L80e Transmission Plug and Play Adapter Harness LS Swap
- 4L60e to 4L80e Plug and Play Adapter
- Includes- Plug and Play transmission adapter Pre Terminated Input Speed Sensor Wiring Color Coded OEM TXL Wire High Quality Delphi Connectors and Terminals Flame Retardant OEM Loom
- This is the BEST aftermarket Adapter Out There! Get an OEM Quality Product with an OEM Looking Installation.
- Remember, this kit requires that you have your PCM tuned for the transmission.
- he only thing that you will have to do is pin the Input Speed Sensor wiring into the PCM
Swapping a 4L60e to a 4L80e is a good move. The 4L80E is the toughest transmission GM makes. It is super reliable and will provide you with years of trouble free service.
4L60E to 4L80E Swap Info
Once you get your adapter you’re going to unplug your harness, and plug the new one in. It’s that easy. Now even with or without the adapter, you’re still going to have to get a new crossmember. The 4L80E is a heck of a lot longer than the 4L60E. You’ll also have to have your driveshaft modified with at yoke that’ll accept your new 4L80E. Any local driveshaft shop should be able to help you with that no problem.
That about takes care of the physical side of the swap, but you’re still going to have to do something about the PCM. It’ll think that it’s got a 4L60E behind the engine and not work. You can do it yourself with HP Tuners software. Unless you’re going to start constantly building LS based motor and transmission builds, it’s way more cost effective to just find someone to do it for you. If you can’t find anyone in town, you can just mail your PCM to one of the many people who advertise this service online.
That covers the broad strokes of adapting the 4L60E to 4L80E.
For more info on what you’d need for the swap, check out this great write up on LS1 tech.