P0014 is a relatively common trouble code for vehicles that have Variable Valve Timing (VVT). This includes the Ford Econoline. VVT adjusts the camshafts position at different RPM’s and engine loads to maximize the operating efficiency of the motor. P0014 means that the camshaft position is too far advanced from where it should be in relation to normal operating specs.
Below, you’ll find some typical issues that cause P0014. Do be aware that this code can be thrown when there are oil pressure issues, low oil, or dirty oil. This is because the camshaft actuators use hydraulic energy to move.
P0014 Definition Ford Econoline
VVT uses camshaft actuators to adjust the position of the cam. When the camshaft timing will not return to a less aggressive profile after heavy engine load, P0014 will be thrown.
P0014 affects bank 1, which is on the side of the engine where cylinder one occurs in the firing order.
Symptoms of P0014
Typically, P0014 will cause quite a few noticeable symptoms in the Ford Econoline. They include (but are not limited to):
- Difficulty Starting– Like any vehicle with ignition timing that is too far advanced, it can be really difficult to start a vehicle with P0014, particularly when the engine is at normal operating temperature.
- Idle Issues– The engine may idle erratically, or feel like it’s “lumpy”.
- Stalling– With the Camshaft timing too far advanced, the engine will probably only feel normal under a load. When trying to cruise around town, or sit at a light, it’ll be prone to stalling.
- Mileage– When the camshaft can’t adjust itself to optimize combustion, mileage will certainly suffer.
- Service Engine Soon
P0014 Causes: Ford Econoline
Here’s a great video on diagnosing P0014. It’s for a Malibu, but the steps are the same for any make/model.
While this is a more challenging trouble code to diagnose, it is possible to do at home. Here are the most common causes of P0014 in the Ford Econoline:
- Wiring Issues– If the wiring to the camshaft actuator has gone bad it can cause P0014. It’s good place to start diagnosing P0014. Is the harness connector plugged in? Is there visible damage to any of the wiring? If so, it may be time to replace the harness. How to diagnose a short in a vehicle (article: Backyard Mechanic).
- Oil Issues– Camshaft Actuators don’t function properly with old/no oil. They operate hydraulically, and need to use the oil to move up and down. An oil change and a little drive time is often enough to clear P0014.
- Bad Camshaft Actuator– The camshaft actuator is a solenoid that engages the camshaft and actually controls its timing. They typically aren’t that expensive. If it’s not a wiring issue, it’s a very good chance that this’ll be the problem.
- Timing Chain– If the timing chain has jumped a tooth (or two), it can leave the engine running advanced, and throw the P0014. Certainly, this is not the most likely cause, but it is certainly possible. Timing Chain Jumped Symptoms and Diagnosis (this site).
Good luck diagnosing P0014 in your Econoline. If there is anything that you can add to improve the article below, or if you have any questions, please leave them below in the comments.